I’m a thinker. Maybe an over thinker?
What I mean is especially when it comes to tech or bikes, I do a lot of procrastinating.
Mostly this is because I’m no expert. If I’m honest with myself I don’t really know the difference between a Fox 34 and a Pike or a Shimano Zee and SRAM guide brake. And if I’m really honest with myself, would I truly actually notice the difference when I’m out riding? Dunno, I’m a pretty average rider and would I benefit from some of the higher performance parts? Doubtful.
View this post on Instagram
A weekend of North Wales riding crammed into less than a minute. For the full 79 seconds check out my Youtube channel…. #linkinbio Spring 2016 – what a great weekend. This was a fun edit too, hope you agree… Coed Y Brenin Cadair Idris Antur Stiniog Nant Yr Arian Wales Never Fails! Music: Bang On! – Propellerheads #findyourepic #snowdonia #coedybrenin #anturstiniog #cadairidris #nantyrarian #wales #mtb #gopro
I will certainly notice bits that I have experience with and learn from that. So despite my comment about forks just now, I have some idea what I do/don’t want.
So how do I pick a bike?
It’s probably the same as most of you – based on a few of the following 5/6 points:
- Price – lets face it budget is the major controlling factor for a bike purchase. Even if you do decide to spread the cost, there’s still a decision to be made “can I afford £40 a month or £60 a month etc”
- What’s cool – What’s everybody riding? Do i want to ride what everybody is riding? I remember when everyone around me was BIRD mad! Cotic is popular with my locals at the moment. I bought he Whyte T130 – I don’t regret it but boy are there loads of them around! I’d like to ride something that isn’t so popular if I can.
- Stick with what I know – buy the latest model from a brand you know / have or have had. I ride a whyte full sus and the 905 hardtail gets great reports. But I don’t like the colour!
- Steel is Real – I’m looking for a hardtail and us British riders do like a steel hardtail and i ride a steel frame right now. Steel can push the price up a little, but def moves the bike along the cool wall!
- Pro Influencers – I’ve been watching GMBN for the last year or and sold myself on the Scout, then since following Matt Jones and seeing the specs, the San Quentin jumped up on my list, until I saw the 4 month wait!!
- Round ups and reviews – MBR
So, I’m looking for a new hard tail. I set my budget to a max of £1500 and I have maybe 3 or 4 on my short list… Haven’t made a decision yet so watch this space…